Chicken Tikka Masala is a dish I love to hate. Traditionally speaking, this rich and creamy Indian cuisine is chalk full of delicious flavor and an over abundance of calories. Long story short: my mouth loves it, my thighs…not so much.
That is why I was ecstatic to discover a “skinny” version that tastes equally as delicious as it’s full calorie counterpart. I found the original recipe on a great blog called, Get Off Your Tush and Cook. I then made a couple of small substitutions to make my dish both gluten and dairy free.
To begin, measure out your ingredients. Have them prepped and ready to go.
Note: The original recipe calls for the chicken to be marinated; I’ve made the dish both with and without the marinade and can’t taste a huge difference. I’ve used plain chicken for this demonstration. If you would like to use the marinade, the recipe is included below. Marinating the chicken would be your first step.
In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat.
Add the onions and cook until softened (about 5 minutes).
Add the crushed ginger and stir for one minute.
Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
Add cumin, garam masala, turmeric, chili powder and salt. Mix well until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Warning: Learn from my mistake. I was incorrect in thinking I could gab with my mother-in-law while measuring out my spices. I was so enthralled with our conversation that I ended up using cayenne pepper instead of chili powder in this recipe. Yeah..not good. Best to pay attention during this part of the process.
Stir in tomatoes, yogurt and milk. Let sauce simmer on low heat until sauce thickens.
While sauce is simmering, cook your chicken in a separate pan until cooked through.
Add cooked chicken into simmering sauce.
Add chopped cilantro and mix well.
Serve over rice. Enjoy!
Healthy Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Marinade (Optional):
- 3oz Fat Free Greek Yogurt – Plain (Use the So Delicious Brand Almond Yogurt (or similar) for Dairy Free Option)
- 1 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 tsp Minced Fresh Ginger
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 2 tsp Canola Oil
- 1 Small Onion, minced
- 2 tsp Fresh Ginger, grated
- 3 Cloves Garlic, crushed
- 2 cups Crushed Tomatoes
- 3 oz Fat Free Greek Yogurt – Plain (So Delicious Almond Yogurt for Dairy Free Option)
- 1/2 c 1% Milk (or Almond Milk for Dairy Free Option)
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Garam Marsala
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- Salt to taste (and cayenne pepper if you would like to add spice)
- 4 Tbs Fresh Cilantro
- Cut the chicken breast into cubes
- Combine chicken with marinade ingredients (optional) and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add the onions and cook until softened (approximately 5 minutes)
- Add the ginger, stir for one minute
- Add the garlic, stir for one minute
- Add cumin, garam masala, turmeric, chili powder and salt; mix well until fragrant, (approximately 2 minutes)
- Stir in tomatoes, yogurt and milk
- Let sauce simmer on low heat until sauce thickens
- While sauce is simmering, cook your chicken until cooked through
- Add chicken back in simmering sauce
- Add chopped cilantro and mix well
- Serve over rice